When hiring a roofing contractor for your project, it’s not enough to pick someone who’s licensed and insured; make sure they’re local, as well. But the problem is that some of the contractors you’ll come across may not actually be local; they’re just pretending to be one. Luckily, there are a few simple ways to confirm if you’re actually working with a roofing contractor from your area. Check out these tips:
1. Check their business number. Storm chasers tend to come out of the woodwork following a major weather event. They’re contractors who travel to areas that have recently experienced a storm, offering cheap repair or restoration services. The thing about storm chasers, however, is that they do a slapdash job, leaving homeowners with a poorly repaired roof and a thinner wallet. Since they’re not local, holding them accountable for shoddy workmanship is almost impossible.
If a contractor approaches you with offers of cheap roofing service, ask them to give you their business number. If the number isn’t local, you should consider that a red flag. Legitimate — and local — roofing contractors like M&A Exterior Home Improvement don’t even make it a habit to approach homeowners out of the blue. We don’t drive around looking for a job — we’re out there doing the job. If you need us to manage your roof repair or replacement, all you have to do is call us at our local number, and we’ll get back to you promptly.
2. Look up their license plates. Some storm chasers try to appear more legit by customizing their truck with a business logo. But you should avoid focusing on that and check the license plates instead. If the plates are from out of state, you might want to hire someone else. Aside from this telltale sign, storm chasers can also be easily identified because they:
- Use high-pressure sales tactics.
- Pass out flyers, pamphlets, and cards in your neighborhood.
- Request for advance payment on a job they haven’t started yet.
Schedule a Roof Evaluation
M&A Exterior Home Improvement remains unrivaled when it comes to high-quality residential roofing services. As a local roof professional, we’re always ready and available to handle your roofing and exterior needs. Call us today at (757) 779-5244, or fill out this contact form to request a roofing quote. We proudly serve homeowners in and around Virginia Beach and Norfolk, VA.